Open Houses now permitted in King County within size-limit
Governor Jay Inslee has announced that open houses are now permitted for Phase 2 in King County. Up to FIVE (5) people are allowed on-site for open houses (in addition to the broker).
In-person activities including showings, inspections, appraisals, and final walk-throughs may also include up to five (5) persons (in addition to the broker). The prior five (5) person limitation included the broker.
In order to hold an open house, the firm and broker must take measures to ensure that occupancy is restricted to the gathering size permitted and all other required protocols are followed (face coverings, social distancing, sanitation, etc.). Firms should develop processes that brokers follow to ensure compliance, including the following:
- Post signs at the property (e.g. on the open house signs, at the front door, inside the property etc.) alerting the public to the occupancy restriction and reminding the public to wear face coverings and social distance.
- Brokers need to carefully monitor the number of persons on site at any one time and not admit more than the allowed number of persons into the property.
- Brokers need to constantly monitor the front door and potentially lock the door from time to time to prohibit additional persons from entering.
- Firms may consider assigning two brokers to an open house – one to stand outside and monitor the number of persons admitted to the property, and the other to be inside the property.
- Brokers must enforce the face covering requirement.
- Persons waiting to enter the property must social distance and wear face coverings.
- Clean and disinfect all surfaces, before and after the open house, and have sanitizer placed around the property.
- Because contact tracing in the event of an outbreak is important, brokers should maintain contact information for all attending an open house.
- Please keep in mind that the firm and broker hosting an open house are at risk of criminal and civil liability for failure to fully comply with the required protocols.
Resources from Washington REALTORS and the Northwest Multiple Listing Service:
Revised FAQ Download/Print Open House Signs
Update information from Washington REALTORS®.
Comments are closed.