Report from the AREAA Housing Affordability Symposium
September 15, 2023
On September 7, the Asian Real Estate Association of America (AREAA) hosted their inaugural Housing Affordability Symposium in Ontario, California.
Featured speakers included:
- CA Congresswoman Norma Torres
- CA Congresswoman Judy Chu
- Mayor of Ontario CA, Paul Leon
- Inland Valley Association of REALTORS® CEO Mark Dowling
- National Association of Home Builders economist, Jennifer Hiramoto
- US HUD Regional Director, Frederick Griefer
- Freddie Mac Manager Monica LaCrue
- AREAA National President Kurt Nishimura
- Former National Presidents Ivan Choi, Jamie Tian, and Carmen Chong
- One of the National Founder’s Emeritus, Jim Park
The theme was the number-one barrier for prospective homeowners across the county: affordability. Discussions included new technologies to build homes faster, multifamily housing and ADUs, zoning and financing solutions, as well as racial and social equity for inclusion.
Seattle King County REALTORS® Government and Public Affairs Vice President, Michele Hunt, was in attendance. Seattle King County REALTORS® Affiliate Vincent Ha, who was the AREAA National Affordable Housing Chair, lead the planning of the Symposium. Vincent spoke on a panel about equity and inclusion and was also able to shoutout the great work Seattle King County REALTORS® has done to help amplify the message so others can try to do the same in the rest of the country.
The Asian Real Estate Association of America (AREAA) is a nonprofit professional trade organization dedicated to promoting sustainable homeownership opportunities in Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) communities by creating a powerful national voice for housing and real estate professionals that serve this dynamic market. Get involved with AREAA Greater Seattle for training, news, and information in our area.